Installing an ERP system is easy; getting it to deliver the expected results is not. That’s where most ERP implementations fail. If you’re just getting started, here are a few useful tips to achieve the desired results:
- Compare vendors: Don’t get impressed with the big names. Make it a point to do a thorough comparison and find out which ones would best suit your need.
- Mind the timing: An ERP implementation is a demanding process. Don’t initiate it when there are other business priorities, such as start and end of financial year, etc…
- Not just technology: Constant human input is essential to keep the ERP system running smoothly. Figure out in advance who’s going to drive the solution.
- Fewer customizations: The more you customize, the greater the scope for hard-to-track mistakes. Instead search for a product that fits your requirements.
- Test beforehand: Before you take the system live, make sure that you have tested the implementation in actual conditions. This includes load testing as well as functionality.
- Right training: Ask the vendor what kind of training support is provided. It’s crucial to ensure sure that your staff can work with the system and the transition is smooth.
- Go in phases: Attempting to overhaul the entire system in one go is risky. A better recommended approach is to create a blueprint and take small steps.
- Right expectations: Why are you going ahead with ERP? If it’s to see a quick turnaround, you need to rethink your expectations!
- Analyze: The system analysis should first be done at your end before you accept a proposal from the vendor.
- Decide on cloud: Identify which type of cloud configuration would suit you best. Ask the vendor if in doubt.
These tips will help take a more informed decision and achieve desired results from the ERP implementation.